The wings fit in the workshop with room to spare!! My friends Rich and Tony came over to help me get the wings fit onto the fuselage. The plane fits in my workshop with about 2 1/2 feet clearance with the wings pointing to opposite corners of the room. It's a bit crowded getting around (under) the wings to adjust them onto the fuselage. We got the left (front) wing into place by pulling the fuselage almost to the middle of the room, and then the second wing was sticking out the overhead door after we got it in place. Then it was a matter of juggling everything into the room to clear the door. The second picture below shows the right side fuselage tunnel spar opening and shows where the end of the left spar sits in it. Then it was on to fitting the right wing into place.
In the first picture below you can see where I am getting left and right wing spars lined up. You can see light through the pilot hole in the center of the shot. In the second shot I have 1/4 inch bolts through both spars in 5 places- this kind of locks both spars together and then they can be centered between the side skins, etc. The third shot is of the forward spar tunnel wall, and you can see the bolts sticking out through the access holes.
The plan of attack: plans steps
I used a water line to make sure each wingtip was level. Others have noted that you need to go around the plane checking fuselage level, wing square to the fuse, and wingtip level, and everytime you adjust one dimension you have to keep checking the others to see if they have moved.
At this point the rear spar carry thru was finished, so the location of the rear spars was locked in side-to-side and also the height of the spar relative to the bottom of the fuselage was locked in. There are three 1/4 inch bolts lining up the two main spars and locking in the dihedral. I was able to remove the supports I had under the wings and the wing assembly was just laying in the fuselage across the two lower longerons. In the second picture I am ready to drill the first 1/4 hole through the wing attach blocks (existing holes) through the forward main spar attach fittings in the fuselage. After that hole is done, the aft tunnel pieces are clecoed back on along with the aft main spar attach angle, and the 1/4 hole is back drilled through the aft spar attach angle- third picture. I used a 12" long 1/4 bit to drill from aft to front, and cut a 5 1/2 inch long bit to use with the right angle drive to drill back through the aft spar attach angle.
The first pic below shows the 1/4 bolt sticking all the way through the forward spar attach angle. I was happy where they both came out. I then used the McMaster stepped bit to up-drill for the 3/8 bolt. It was ever so slightly too short to reach all the way through, so when it bottomed out I finished the hole with a regular 3/8 bit. By that time I only had a quarter inch or so left to go and the holes came out straight and true.....big sigh of relief after all the stories I've read about this process.
After the wings were bolted in, I was able to mark the wing root doublers where they need to be cut to fit the fuselage sides. I made a little jig to space the sharpie onto the root doublers to mark the cut line on them. The doublers are clecoed onto the wing skins offset by 1/2 inch. A line is drawn 1/2 inch away (plus whatever gap is desired) from the fuselage so that when the doublers are riveted in only the gap will remain. Hopefully it's a nice uniform gap! I had to raise the fuse off of the table to get enough clearance to get clecos in and out of the wing skins.